Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this soup.
Make and share this Chicken Tortilla Soup Mix Jar Gift recipe from Food.com.
Ingredients for Jar
- 1 cup converted long grain rice (Uncle Ben's)
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 (5 ounce) can chicken
Mix the following seasonings and place in a thin zipper sandwich bag
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons powdered lemonade mix, with sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- In a quart sized jar, place rice, pressing down carefully.
- Then add seasoning packet, making sure it can be seen from the edges.
- Then fill the rest of the jar with crushed tortilla chips.
- Close with lid.
- Tape a can of chicken to the top of jar (or if you wish, include instructions for adding a can of chicken to the instructions below).
- For 12 cups of delicious Tortilla Soup:.
- Carefully empty tortilla chips from jar and set aside in a bowl.
- Remove seasoning packet and also set aside.
- Pour remaining jar contents into a large pot for cooking rice.
- Add 10 cups of water, seasoning packet and one can (10oz) of diced tomatoes and green chilies.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tortilla chips, and cover and simmer for five more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This reciped turned out great. Even better the next day. We didn't like the soggy tortilla chips, though. Next time I won't simmer for five more minutes so they'll stay crispy.
I received this as a gift last year. I had a houseful of hunters so decided to make it up. They went through it like crazy and the next day for lunch asked for it again. It was all gone the night before so I had to find the recipe fast. I use long grain brown rice and if there is any left over the next day it is wonderfully thick, I just add a little more water and chicken broth and it is soooo very good.
Hubby and I loved this easy soup-and it would make a wonderful gift too. The flavoring is perfect.