2 hrs 8 mins
This is an excellent copy cat recipe of the soup that is served at Max and Erma's restaurant food chain. This is my Dh's favorite soup. The cilantro is optional I make it without it. This recipe makes a lot and is wonderful as leftovers. Next time I'm going to half the recipe as it's only the two of us.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (850.48 g) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (850.48 g) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (850.48 g) can cream of celery soup
- 2 (850.48 g) can chicken broth
- 2 (850.48 g) can cheddar cheese soup
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes
- 127.57 g green chilies
- 236.59 ml salsa
- 1 medium onion
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml chili powder (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- 226.79 g tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1In a large pot mix all soups until they appear to be somewhat smooth and well mixed.
- 2Then add the remainder of the ingredients to the salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a full boil and reducing heat to simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- 3While the soup is simmering cut the four chicken breasts in to small chunks. Cook them in a separate pan. Once the soup has simmered for an hour add the pieces of the cooked chicken to the soup. Let the soup remain on simmer for another hour. (This is a good time to see if you need to add more chili powder). Continue to stir the soup making sure nothing sits at that bottom of the pan for a long period of time.
- 4While the soup cooks the last hour, cut however many tortillas you want into thin slices. Take about 1/3 of them and throw them into the soup and allow them to cook with the soup. The remaining you can lightly fry in the oil until they are golden to place on top of the soup when it's done.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup - Max and Erma's Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (758 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1312.4
- Calories from Fat 641
- Total Fat 71.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.3 g
- Cholesterol 182.1 mg
- Sodium 7117.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 62.9 g