Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an excellent copy cat recipe of the soup that is served at Max and Erma's restaurant food chain. This is my Dh's favorite soup. The cilantro is optional I make it without it. This recipe makes a lot and is wonderful as leftovers. Next time I'm going to half the recipe as it's only the two of us.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 1⁄2 ounces green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 ounces tortillas
- vegetable oil
- In a large pot mix all soups until they appear to be somewhat smooth and well mixed.
- Then add the remainder of the ingredients to the salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a full boil and reducing heat to simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- While the soup is simmering cut the four chicken breasts in to small chunks. Cook them in a separate pan. Once the soup has simmered for an hour add the pieces of the cooked chicken to the soup. Let the soup remain on simmer for another hour. (This is a good time to see if you need to add more chili powder). Continue to stir the soup making sure nothing sits at that bottom of the pan for a long period of time.
- While the soup cooks the last hour, cut however many tortillas you want into thin slices. Take about 1/3 of them and throw them into the soup and allow them to cook with the soup. The remaining you can lightly fry in the oil until they are golden to place on top of the soup when it's done.