Recipe by Eddie Shipman
I'm getting tired of seeing the so-called tortilla soup recipes running around that are nothing but a glorified chicken soup with tortillas added. Here's the real McCoy. Similar to the recipe at Houston's restaurant (modified, of course, to suit my tastes) For a beef version check out my Beef Enchilada Soup.
Top Review by Bonnie Thompson
The soup was easy to make and delicious. I agree with the chef, that it isn't just glorified chicken broth! The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but I'd say it was closer to 6, the servings were ample. The measurements for ounces I adapted as follows: 3/4 C diced carrots, 3/4 C diced celery and 2 medium size onions, chopped. The ingredients didn't list the corn tortillas, just the chips. I added about 10 diced corn tortillas to boil into the soup and the consistency turned out great.
- 8 ounces carrots, diced
- 8 ounces celery
- 8 ounces onions, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced
- 1 (1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packet taco seasoning (I use McCormicks)
- 10 (8 inch) corn, tortillas (NOT FLOUR, cut into small pieces, about 1-in x1-in)
- 12 ounces chicken meat, poached, diced
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
- Let boil for 45 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
- Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 10 ct. package of corn tortillas.
- Mix masa with 1 cup cold water, then add masa flour mix into soup. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa/water mix.
- If you don't want to use the seasoning packet, substitute 1/2 teaspoons cumin + 1 tsp, chili powder.
- You can also use grilled chicken fajita meat for poached diced chicken.
- NOTE: If you use FLOUR tortillas, as some people have, you WILL end up with a "TORTILLA MESS", this recipe is for CORN tortillas. Don't go blaming me and giving me a bad review because you used the wrong stuff.