1/21 Photos of Chicken Tortilla Soup II
1 hr 10 mins
Eddie Shipman's Note:
I'm getting tired of seeing the so-called tortilla soup recipes running around that are nothing but a glorified chicken soup with tortillas added. Here's the real McCoy. Similar to the recipe at Houston's restaurant (modified, of course, to suit my tastes) For a beef version check out my Beef Enchilada Soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh diced garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced
- 1 (1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packet taco seasoning, I use McCormicks
- 10 (8 inch) corn tortillas (cut into small pieces, about 1-inchx1-inch)
- 12 ounces chicken meat, poached, diced
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces for garnish
- 1Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
- 2Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- 3Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- 4Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
- 5Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- 6Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- 7Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- 8If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
- 9Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
- 10Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 10 ct. package of corn tortillas. Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth, mixing thoroughly into broth. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour.
- 11You can also use grilled chicken fajita meat for poached diced chicken.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup II
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.3
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 74.2 mg
- Sodium 1565.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 28.7 g