1/1 Photo of Chicken Tortilla Soup (Fast and Cheap!)
This is how my Mother-in-Law taught me to make tortilla soup. It's a great use of leftovers and a very quick meal for a bunch! The serranos are VERY hot and will burn skin and eyes, so use caution.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1892.0 ml water (as much as desired) or 1892.0 ml chicken broth (as much as desired)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 6.16 ml cumin (comino)
- 283.49 g can tomato soup
- 283.49 g can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml cooked chicken (shredded or diced)
- 5 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped, to taste or 5 jalapenos
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1In a large stock pot add as much water or chicken broth as desired for the quantity of soup you need.
- 2Add boullion, spices, soup and tomatoes (including liquid), onion, chicken, and some of the peppers (reserve some for garnish, if you have mild soup eaters do not add serranos at all, allow individuals to add them to their bowl) and some of the cilantro (reserving some for garnish).
- 3Heat soup through and allow to simmer until ready to serve.
- 4To serve, place desired amount of crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese and peppers in an individual bowl. Top with hot soup. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- 5Top additionally with avocado, corn, cooked rice, sour cream, or any other toppings you enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup (Fast and Cheap!)
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.3 mg
- Sodium 870.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 13.8 g