Recipe by MommyMakes
This is how my Mother-in-Law taught me to make tortilla soup. It's a great use of leftovers and a very quick meal for a bunch! The serranos are VERY hot and will burn skin and eyes, so use caution.
Top Review by Catwoman24102
Delicious! Very easy recipe and easily adapts to what you have in your pantry at the time. This freezes well and makes a great addition to your once a month cooking. Wonderful soup at any time of the year.
- 2 quarts water (as much as desired) or 2 quarts chicken broth (as much as desired)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin (comino)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or diced)
- 5 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped, to taste or 5 jalapenos
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- 1 bunch cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot add as much water or chicken broth as desired for the quantity of soup you need.
- Add boullion, spices, soup and tomatoes (including liquid), onion, chicken, and some of the peppers (reserve some for garnish, if you have mild soup eaters do not add serranos at all, allow individuals to add them to their bowl) and some of the cilantro (reserving some for garnish).
- Heat soup through and allow to simmer until ready to serve.
- To serve, place desired amount of crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese and peppers in an individual bowl. Top with hot soup. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Top additionally with avocado, corn, cooked rice, sour cream, or any other toppings you enjoy!