Recipe by Pepina Rae
Here's a great "stick to your ribs" soup. It is a meal all unto itself. It's classic and it's simply delicious. Serve with toasted buttered french bread.
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 avocados, sliced
- cilantro leaf, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté garlic and onions in oil in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
- Add next 7 ingredients to pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch/water mixture into soup. Remember that full thickening will not be achieved until mixture comes to a boil. Adjust amount to create desired consistency.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream and sour cream.
- Deep-fry tortilla strips in 350°F oil OR spray with non-stick cooking spray and bake in a 400°F degree oven until crisp.
- Top each serving with cheese, avocado, tortilla strips, and cilantro.