Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tortilla soup serves 3 or 4 people, depending on serving size. This recipe is fast, easy and a great compliment to any meal.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Swanson chicken broth
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 stalks diced celery (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 9 -12 corn tortillas, 3 per serving
- 2 cups shreaded Mexican blend cheese
- cooking oil (to deep fry tortilla strips)
- In large stock pot, place chicken cubed or diced to brown in oil or butter.
- Once browned, add garlic, onion and celery, Sauté this mixture for 2 minutes.
- Next, add can of Rotel diced tomatoes and Green chilies and Swanson's chicken broth (Swanson's seems to have best the taste) and bring to boil.
- Boil for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, let simmer on low, while cooking tortilla strips.
- In separate pan (preferable cast iron) deep fry corn tortillas that have been cut into strips.
- Deep fry only until they are crunchy.
- Remove and drain add salt if desired.
- Set aside.
- To serve, place a handful (about 1 cup) of cooked, drained, tortilla strips.
- Then approximately 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and top with chicken soup mixture.
- Serve immediately.
My, hard to please, better half loved it! Thanks for making me the star of the evening