Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my modified version of a tortilla soup recipe that I found. My whole family loves this soup so I make it often.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) canof chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice (I use spicy V8 juice)
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube (I use Knorr extra large)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (I use Knorr extra large)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- vegetables (such as zucchini,corn,kidney beans)
- fried tortilla, in strips, for garnish
- avocado, for garnish
- shredded cheese, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
- Heat some of the water in the microwave until almost boiling. Add the bouillon and stir to dissolve.
- In a large pot, saute first four ingredients until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the ingredients list up to and including the chicken (also include the bouillon water and the remaining water) .
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour.
- Add any additional vegetables that you want in the soup. (I usually add a couple of diced zucchinis.).
- Simmer until the vegetalbes are tender, about 30 more minutes.
- To serve: Make enough corn tortilla strips for the amount of servings that you are going to make. (I like a thick soup so I use two small corn tortillas per person).
- Slice the corn tortillas into thin strips and fry them in some vegetable oil until they are slightly crisp.
- Lightly sprinkle the tortilla strips with salt if desired.
- Layer the tortilla strips in bowls.
- Sprinkle with chopped avocado if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowl.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and cilantro and serve immediately.
WHOOHOO! Id give it more stars if I could! This is fabulous! This pleased a table of SIX picky eaters! EVERYONE at work wants the recipe even the guys! *I bought an already roasted chicken at the store a just tore it up and tossed it in...it was so quick! I LOVE it served with fresh avacado as a garnish too! Thank you!
Made the first time as stated....just not a stunner...lacked a real depth of flavor. Second time used same ingredients with adjustments. Omit canned chilies and fresh tomatoes. Use 14oz can of Hunts diced tomatos with green chilies. Use 6 oz V-8. Omit salt in recipe. Triple the beef and tripple the chicken flavors...I use Jamison Soup Base. Use metal stick mixer to partially puree the tomatos. Omit fresh Chilie, use 7-8 rounds canned hot peppers ( your choice). Quarter 2 8" zucinni and chop, saute and add to soup. Add 1/2 cup frozen corn. Served with mexican corn bread, salad and Asiago Cheese bread for dipping...yum...yum.
This soup is excellent. I cook in a nursing home and wasn't sure how it would go over. I was worried maybe it would be to spicy. They are picky eaters. They loved it some asked for seconds and I only gave out 1 alternate meal. I served black bean and cheese quesadillas with it yum. I highly recommend this recipe. It was very easy to make also. I made enough for 150 people.