1/1 Photo of Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is my modified version of a tortilla soup recipe that I found. My whole family loves this soup so I make it often.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can of chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice (I use spicy V8 juice)
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube (I use Knorr extra large)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (I use Knorr extra large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- vegetables (such as zucchini,corn,kidney beans)
- fried tortilla, in strips, for garnish
- avocado, for garnish
- shredded cheese, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
- 1Heat some of the water in the microwave until almost boiling. Add the bouillon and stir to dissolve.
- 2In a large pot, saute first four ingredients until tender.
- 3Add the remaining ingredients in the ingredients list up to and including the chicken (also include the bouillon water and the remaining water) .
- 4Cover and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour.
- 6Add any additional vegetables that you want in the soup. (I usually add a couple of diced zucchinis.).
- 7Simmer until the vegetalbes are tender, about 30 more minutes.
- 8To serve: Make enough corn tortilla strips for the amount of servings that you are going to make. (I like a thick soup so I use two small corn tortillas per person).
- 9Slice the corn tortillas into thin strips and fry them in some vegetable oil until they are slightly crisp.
- 10Lightly sprinkle the tortilla strips with salt if desired.
- 11Layer the tortilla strips in bowls.
- 12Sprinkle with chopped avocado if desired.
- 13Ladle soup into bowl.
- 14Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and cilantro and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.7
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.1 mg
- Sodium 617.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 11.7 g