Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love soups of all kinds! This is one of my favorites because of the wonderful blend of Mexican spices.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄8 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 6 corn tortillas, cut in strips
- cooking oil
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- In a 5 quart pot, saute onion, bell pepper, Serrano pepper, Jalapeno pepper, and garlic until onions are transparent.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, Rotel diced tomatoes,diced green chile peppers, parsley, cilantro, oregano, and cumin. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken, black beans and corn. Heat through.
- Fry tortilla strips in hot oil, half at a time, about 1 minute or until crisp and light brown. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Divide tortilla strips among 4 bowls.
- Ladle soup over tortilla strips.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
- Squeeze lime into each bowl.
- Serve immediately.