Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 chicken breast halves, poached & chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped (use mainly the leaves)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups water (strained poaching liquid from chicken is best)
- 28 ounces tomatoes, chopped (Cento)
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 2 cups corn tortilla strips, crushed in food processor (Mission Brand)
- 1 cup milk (optional)
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (or pepper jack)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Saute onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until very soft. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes more.
- Add water, tomatoes, spices and tortilla pieces. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken (and milk if using). Cook 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Blend in shredded cheeses. Serve with crisp tortilla strips on top.
I love chicken tortilla soups and this recipe did not disappoint! It was very flavorful and easy to make. Thanks so much for sharing! Made for ZWT8 for Mexico/Tex-Mex.