Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup is quick to make, flavorful, and filling! Serve with warm corn bread or tortillas. This also freezes well.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup white hominy (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinse and drained
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- avocado, chopped
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- green onion, chopped
- tortilla chips, crushed
- In a medium stock pot, saute onion and garlic in oil.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano/Italian seasoning, tomatoes, broth and water.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add corn, hominy, chili peppers, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with avocado, grated Jack cheese, chopped green onion, or crushed tortilla chips.
This was ok, but not as flavorful as I'd hoped. I think there are too many tomatoes for my taste. I added some taco seasoning and chili beans to see if that would help, but it still wasn't as good as tortilla soup I've had before.
Very yummy and satisfying soup! We've always loved thick, hearty soups like this one. I did throw in about 1/2 tsp of cumin. I like the taste. Thanks for the recipe!
Have made a few changes like adding rotel and no hominy. Plus we add extra green chiles and I use one red onion and a sweet yellow onion. Love this soup! Perfect for cold nights. Leftovers are great. Doesn't change consistency. We sometimes freeze some.