Recipe by Ms. West
I got this recipe from the Food Network Magazine. It's really simple and good to make your own additions to make it better. The original recipe did not have chicken but I always add it in. I also add carrots and celery to my soup when I make it.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I buy the rotisserie chicken from the store and shred the chicken breasts)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 lime
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the shredded chicken and set aside.
- Heat large pot with canola oil. Saute onion, garlic, jalapeno and cumin for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes and shredded chicken. Season with salt and oregano to taste and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in fresh squeezed lime juice to taste.
- Crush a handful of tortilla chips into each bowl. Pour in soup and garnish with cilantro and sour cream. Happy eating!