Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This is a spin-off of Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Tortilla Soup. The first time I cooked it I followed the recipe exactly and it was very good. However, I never can leave well enough alone. I added some things and took away some things and came out with this version which turned out to be just right.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (less if you don't like spicy)
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) packagedry fajita seasoning mix
- corn tortilla chips, for garnish
- tony chacherie seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly season chicken breasts with Tony Chacherie seasoning to taste.
- Melt butter in large heavy stockpot over medium heat.
- Lightly brown chicken breasts in butter.
- When lightly browned remove and set aside.
- In stockpot add onions and bell pepper.
- Saute' until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well, cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except heavy cream and chicken.
- Bring to a simmer.
- While waiting for mixture to come to a simmer, coarsely chop reserved chicken and add to pot.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls with crushed tortilla chips on top.