Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great soup! Can be topped with sour cream.
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- 6 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup thick & chunky salsa
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Stack and cut into 1/2 inch wide stripes, then cut in half crosswise. Spread the strips evenly on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 8 to ten minutes, turning once, until crisp and brown. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium low heat for 3-4 minutes. Stirring often until softened.
- Add the broth, chicken, and cumin. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat. Add pepper. Reduce to medium and boil gently for 5 minutes or until the pepper is crisp tender. Stir in cilantro.
- Divide tortillas, tomato, avocado, cheese and salsa among 6 bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls and top with sour cream if you would like.