Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
A creamy cheese soup similar to Max and Erma's Tortilla Soup.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, food cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) canro*tel tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups shredded canned chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 4 -6 flour tortillas, as needed
- 2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- Melt butter in pot over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in small amounts of chicken broth at a time, then whisk in milk.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes; stir until melted.
- Stir in Ro*Tel, chicken, and spices.
- Once soup is heated through, add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Can be served with tortilla strips and a handful of cheese on top once ladled into bowls.
I dont usually review recipes (although I always check out others reviews!) but this one was so good, I had to! I make trips to Max and Ermas for their soup and this is BETTER than that!! I tripled it for a football party and it went like crazy! I did cut down on the chili powder (using 5 teas. instead of 6 - tripling the recipe, remember?) and it was plenty spicy. But then I have a low threshold for hot... Definitely make it if you are looking for comfort food that everyone will love...
LOVED this! I only made two changes... I used fresh shredded chicken and doubled the Rotel canned tomatoes with green chiles. It was a BIG hit!