Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
You could skip the first step and just use tortilla chips.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless, cut into thin strips
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the tortilla strips and cook, stirring, until strips are crisp and golden, 2-3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add remaining oil to the pot. Add peppers, carrot, onion, garlic and chicken.
- Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft and the chicken is cooked through; 4-6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add cumin, corn and chicken broth.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve topped with tortilla strips and grated cheese.