Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This soup is great with cornbread on a cold night or by itself for a lighter summer meal. The flavor combinations are absolutely amazing! The soup is also very mild…My young kids love it. To give it a kick of spice add two tablespoons roasted jalapeños. Fresh if you can get them, otherwise the canned variety works just fine.
- 8 corn tortillas or 2 cups corn chips
- 3 limes, juice of, for 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (coriander)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 -6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups chicken, shredded from a store-bought roasted chicken
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- Cut tortillas in half and then into strips about 1/2-inch wide.
- Heat about 1 cup oil in a small frying pan on medium heat.
- Add tortilla strips to hot oil about 1 cup at a time and fry until crisp. Place on a paper towel and salt very lightly as you finish each batch - You can use store-bought corn chips instead to save time.
- Juice the limes and set aside 1/4 cup juice. Set aside.
- Coarsely chop cilantro. Set aside.
- In a large 4-5 quart frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté 2-3 minutes or until just translucent. Add garlic, oregano and salt. Sauté 30 seconds more.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, lime juice and cilantro. Stir and simmer until chicken is heated through.
- Ladle soup over tortilla chips and avocado.