Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (, to garnish)
- In an electric slow cooker, combine chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies and garlic.
- Add water, broth, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Stir in corn.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil.
- Cut tortillas into 2 1/2-by- 1/2-inch strips.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips, cilantro and Parmesan over soup.
Good basic Chicken Tortilla Soup that I've been making for years. I use chicken stock rather then broth for more flavor. I also add a 7 oz can of Salsa Verda, and use green enchilada sauce rather then red. I made it yesterday and it was the first time that I used broken tortilla chips rather then going through the hassle with the corn tortillas~~worked great! I did also add black beans for the first time, super!!
It's a tasty soup. I did add black beans and topped with crushed tortilla chip and cheese. I can say I am still on the hunt for a really good chicken tortilla soup. This to me was more tomato soup with a little bit of Mexican influence.
Delicious soup!! I only made two changes. I didn't have any enchilada sauce so I added 1 tablespoon of Lawry's Enchilada Sauce mix powder. Also, I like my corn tortillias torn up into bits and put into the soup. The taste of the broth was spot-on for a great chicken tortilla soup. Healthy and satisfying. I will definitely make this again and again.