Recipe by Dannielle
Top Review by Ms. Mother Earth
Good basic Chicken Tortilla Soup that I've been making for years. I use chicken stock rather then broth for more flavor. I also add a 7 oz can of Salsa Verda, and use green enchilada sauce rather then red. I made it yesterday and it was the first time that I used broken tortilla chips rather then going through the hassle with the corn tortillas~~worked great! I did also add black beans for the first time, super!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (, to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In an electric slow cooker, combine chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies and garlic.
- Add water, broth, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Stir in corn.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil.
- Cut tortillas into 2 1/2-by- 1/2-inch strips.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips, cilantro and Parmesan over soup.