Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Had lunch at the Blue Mesa Grill in Addison, TX...some of the best Southwestern food I have eaten. This soup is really light...not creamy like other tortilla soups I have had. It calls for a whole chicken, but I will probably use chicken breasts to omit the bones and fat from getting in the soup. Their recipes are posted at bluemesagrill.com...all times are estimated.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chiles (chipotle chiles are sold in cans, put in blender to puree)
- 10 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 -3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, stems removed, chopped fine
- 10 ounces grated monterey jack cheese
- 3 cups vegetable shortening
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 -3 limes, cut into wedges
- In a large stockpot (2 gallons), melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add yellow onions, celery and carrots.
- Saute' until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add water, chipotle puree, spices and chicken to sautee'd vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour (or until chicken is thoroughly cooked).
- Skim off the fat and impurities that rise to the top.
- Remove the chicken from the soup.
- When it's cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bones from chicken and shred.
- Add shredded chicken back to soup.
- Add tomatoes, red onion and cilantro to the soup and cook for 5 - 10 minutes.
- PREPARE THE GARNISH:.
- Heat vegetable shortening in a medium sauce pan until hot, but not smoking.
- Cut tortillas in 1/4" strips and fry until crisp, it may be necessary to fry in batches.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Divide the tortilla strips and put in soup bowls.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with grated cheese, diced tomatoes and cilantro.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime into each bowl and serve hot.