1/3 Photos of Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 hr 10 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
After tasting the best tortilla soup of my life in Kino Bay, Mexico, I set out on a quest to duplicate. The recipe has been somewhat 'gringoized' however it's very close. The key is use the freshest ingredients as possible.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
corn tortilla strips
- 2 chicken breasts
- 8 cups vegetable broth or 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, plus
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Tortilla Strips:.
- 2Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 3Spread tortilla strips on rimmed baking sheet;drizzle with oil and toss until evenly coated.
- 4Place in oven, rotating pan and shaking after 7 minutes.
- 5Bake until strips are deep golden brown and crip.
- 6Transfer chips to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- 8In large sauce pan bring chicken, broth, 1/3 of quartered onions, 2 garlic cloves, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil over medium-heat; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- 9Transfer chicken to plate.
- 10Strain broth through fine-mesh strainer, discard solids in strainer.
- 11When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 12Puree tomatoes, remaining onions, remaining garlic cloves, chipotle chile, and 1 teaspoon adobe sauce in food processor until smooth.
- 13Heat oil in dutch oven.
- 14Add puree and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has darkened in color, about 10 minutes.
- 15Stir strained broth into tomato mixture.
- 16Add poblano pepper, red peppers, zucchini and remaining quartered onions.
- 17Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer to blend flavors, for about 15-20 minutes.
- 18Taste test.If desired add up to 2 teaspoons additional adobe sauce.
- 19Add shredded chicken and simmer until heated.
- 20To serve, place portions of tortilla strips in bowl and ladle soup.
- 21Pass garnishes separately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.3
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 53.1 mg
- Sodium 411.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo