Epazote is a weedlike Mexican herb which adds a distinctive flavor. It is sometimes available at Fiesta and other Mexican specialty markets. Cilantro can be used as an alternative.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo (seeded and diced to taste)
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 cups clear chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig epazote or 1 sprig cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 5 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces cubed cooked boneless chicken
- 3 fried corn tortillas, cut in strips
- 10 ounces fresh corn (optional)
- 3 ounces black olives (optional)
- Heat corn oil in a large pot, sauté diced onion lightly.
- Add minced garlic, chipotle peppers, tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook until mixture is reduced.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaf, epazote, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer slowly 30 minutes. Add optional corn to warm.
- Garnish each serving with a little avocado, cheese, chicken tortilla strips,olives and lime slices.