Recipe by Harness Technology
After attempting many tortilla soup recipes, I have created my own. It was tested twice before posting here and both times it got rave reviews from family and friends. Hope you will enjoy it too! The broth is semi-clear.
Top Review by orladune
made this last night for hubby and some friends, they LOVED it! i made it without the epazote because it was a bit hard to find but it was wonderful anyway. thanks for sharing a great recipe!
- 12 corn tortillas
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh epazote
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 dried pasilla peppers
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, wedged
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup pico de gallo
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Cut tortillas into 1/2" strips and fry in oil until golden and crispy. Dry on paper towels and save for later.
- Add more oil (if needed) to skillet. Cut pasilla chiles crosswise in rings and fry in oil for about 1 minute. Dry on paper towels and save for later.
- Roast tomatoes, onion and garlic in broiler for about 10 minutes. Garlic may be done sooner. Peel charred skin from tomatoes and dice. Finely dice onion and garlic.
- In soup pot, heat 3 tablespoons of oil on low. Cut chicken into bite-size chunks and add to soup pot. Raise heat to high and cook chicken until done on all sides, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, pepper and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, pico de gallo, epazote and frozen corn. Stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Continue boiling for 15 minutes.
- Stir. Reduce heat to low and lightly simmer for 1-2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Add pasilla chiles and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Taste test and season as desired.
- Peel and dice avacados, then place in a bowl and stir lightly with 2 tablespoons lime juice.
- To serve, place tortilla strips in bowl first, sprinkle with cheese, then ladle soup on top. Garnish with lime wedge, cilantro and avacados.