Darlene Summers's Note:
I first ate this soup at the Lone Star Restaurant in Carbondale Ill. I fell in love with it and of course they won't give up the recipe so I figured it out for myself. Here is my version of it--tastes just like theirs, and is very simple.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Quaker quick barley
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can navy beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can Mexican chili beans
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 (15 ounce) cans water (use empty bean can)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1Cut up chicken breast.
- 2In a large soup kettle put can of fat-free chicken broth in the pot with the breast.
- 3Add barley and cumin.
- 4Cook on medium heat till chicken is done and tender.
- 5Add all remaining ingredients.
- 6Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- 7Simmer on low about 15 minutes.
- 8To serve, put soup in bowl, stir in a couple of jalapeño pepper rounds. Top with 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon of mozzarella or jack cheese and top with tortilla chips.
- 9HOMEMADE TORTILLA CHIPS: To make chips, spray top and bottom of corn tortillas with Pam spray or whatever you use.
- 10Then salt with popcorn salt or whatever fine ground salt you have. Cut tortillas in 1/2-inch wide strips and arrange in 1 layer at a time on baking sheet.
- 11Bake at 400°F till lightly browned; break up in your soup and ENJOY.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.6
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 8.7 mg
- Sodium 757.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Quaker quick barley