Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy and delicious soup recipe. It can be served as a meal or as an appetizer. I like to freeze some of it for an easy meal on a lazy night. Enjoy!
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 hot peppers, de-seeded and finely minced
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup white rice (NOT instant)
- 2 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (10 ounce) cans white meat chicken, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- white corn tortilla chips
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat large stock pot on medium-high heat.
- Once pot is heated, add olive oil to generously coat bottom.
- Sautee onion, garlic, hot peppers, bell pepper, celery and chili powder until veggies are soft but not mushy.
- Add rice & stir for about a minute.
- Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, chicken, black beans and corn.
- Bring to a slow boil, stirring frequently.
- Once it reaches boiling, reduce heat, cover & simmer, until rice cooks completely (about an hour,) stirring occasionally.
- Serve with tortilla chips (I like to break them up in my soup) and a dollop of sour cream.