Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my own version of a simple and very tasty broth-based chicken tortilla soup.
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, pulled from stem
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Grill the chicken breasts and cut into bite size pieces.
- Slice the corn tortillas into 1/2" strips and place on baking sheet.
- Bake the corn tortillas at 250 degrees until crispy (about 35 minutes).
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil (about 5 minutes).
- Add the remaining soup ingredients.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until the baked corn tortilla strips are ready (about 30 minutes).
- Garnish with Pepper Jack cheese, avocado, corn tortilla strips, cilantro and green onions.
My boys love this! I added a bit more chicken since kids love it and it still turned out wonderful!