Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from a friend, I don't know where it originates from, but it's a regular in our household. I always substitute the 98% fat-free versions of the cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups. I also use whole wheat tortillas and reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Cook time does not include cooking the chicken.
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, and green chilies
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 6 -8 tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In bowl, combine cooked and shredded chicken, Rotel tomato/green chilies, soups and onion. Set aside.
- Layer bottom of greased 9x13 baking dish with tortillas (however many it takes). You may need to cut tortillas, but they don't have to fit perfectly.
- Spread half the chicken mixture on top of tortillas.
- Cover with 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers - tortillas, chicken mixture, cheese.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.
I've made this a few times long ago...I had forgotten about it!!! I remember the key to this dish is "Rotel" tomatoes and I use the Original...& sometimes the spicy! YUM! Hot,and I do use the regular tortillas and cheese, but bet it would be great caloried down!!I serve it with a big, crispy salad & ice cold margaritas!