Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Dumplings without mixing dough, rolling out and cutting? Yes indeed. This recipe starts with homemade chicken soup. However to save time, you might just start with low-fat chicken broth and contine with step 3. This recipe was posted on the TOH bulletin board by Wolverine.
- 6 fajita-size flour tortillas
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, cut into pieces (remove skin and excess fat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, sliced (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- Place the chicken, onions half the celery, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for 1 hour.
- Take the chicken out of the pot and remove the meat from the bones (reserve). Place bones back in the pot and continue cooking for 1 hour longer.
- Strain broth and return to pot with remaining celery and carrots. Cook 20-30 minutes longer.
- Cut the flour tortillas in 1-inch wide strips; then cut strips into 3 or 4 pieces. Add tortilla pieces and chicken to the boiling broth and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Soup may be served with additional flour tortillas which have been warmed in the oven.
- Note: AlabamaNeeNee, of the TOHBB, suggests using the above recipe as basis for her chicken and dumplings. She does it this way: In step 3, when the vegetables are tender, sprinkle in about 3 tablespoons of flour, a little at a time, stirring constantly so broth will thicken slightly. She suggests you may wish to add a can of cream of chicken soup at this point if the flavor of the soup needs enhancing. Continue with the recipe.