Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Dumplings without mixing dough, rolling out and cutting? Yes indeed. This recipe starts with homemade chicken soup. However to save time, you might just start with low-fat chicken broth and contine with step 3. This recipe was posted on the TOH bulletin board by Wolverine.
- 6 fajita-size flour tortillas
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, cut into pieces (remove skin and excess fat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, sliced (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken, onions half the celery, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for 1 hour.
- Take the chicken out of the pot and remove the meat from the bones (reserve). Place bones back in the pot and continue cooking for 1 hour longer.
- Strain broth and return to pot with remaining celery and carrots. Cook 20-30 minutes longer.
- Cut the flour tortillas in 1-inch wide strips; then cut strips into 3 or 4 pieces. Add tortilla pieces and chicken to the boiling broth and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Soup may be served with additional flour tortillas which have been warmed in the oven.
- Note: AlabamaNeeNee, of the TOHBB, suggests using the above recipe as basis for her chicken and dumplings. She does it this way: In step 3, when the vegetables are tender, sprinkle in about 3 tablespoons of flour, a little at a time, stirring constantly so broth will thicken slightly. She suggests you may wish to add a can of cream of chicken soup at this point if the flavor of the soup needs enhancing. Continue with the recipe.