Recipe by Stewie
A family favorite! I often make it to freeze in portions for my family to take to work (reheats easily in a microwave). I generally make this as low-fat as possible using skim milk, low-fat cheeses, tortillas & soups.
Top Review by puppitypup
Loved the flavor! I used mild diced green chilis rather than the salsa and added sliced olives too. The only thing I would do different next time is to just mix all the ingredients except the cheese for the topping rather than layering. Thanks for a keeper Stewie.
- 4 whole chicken breasts (skin removed)
- 1 dozen flour tortilla
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup green chili salsa
- 1⁄2 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb grated monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave (or otherwise cook) chicken until tender.
- Bone and lay in chunks in a greased large shallow baking dish.
- Break up 1 dozen flour tortillas and lay them on top of the chicken.
- Mix together the soups, onion, chili, milk and salsa.
- Spread this mixture evenly over the top of the chicken and tortillas.
- Sprinkle both cheeses on top of the casserole.
- You can freeze the casserole at this point if you wish.
- Bake the thawed casserole at 350F for 45 minutes.
- This also freezes well after it has been cooked.