Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious family meal. Perfect for a Sunday dinner or Saturday family movie night.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth, rich or 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth, canned low sodium
- 4 ounces green chilies, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 corn tortillas or 12 flour tortillas
- 4 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- light sour cream, for passing on the side
- In a large pan, over medium heat, warm oil. Add onions and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, stock, chilies, seasonings, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- In a 9 x 13" baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray or oil, place 6 tortillas so that they overlap slightly.
- Add half the chicken, half the sauce, half the cheese, and all the olives. Repeat the first 3 layers.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Bake, loosely covered with aluminum foil, until heated through and bubbly, 45-50 minutes.
- Remove foil during last 10 minutes of baking time. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Pass the sour cream. Serves 10 to 12.
I knew we would love this recipe the minute I saw it, and of course I was not dissappointed. Thanks for the great recipe. I used boneless chicken breast, which had been grilled, then cubed.