Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Add in a can of drained black beans if desired, but bake in a large casserole dish.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 3 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1 cup corn niblets, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 (10 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas (broken into about 1-inch pieces)
- 3 cups grated Mexican blend cheese, divided (or to taste, or use grated cheddar cheese)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- In a very large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, bell pepper and dryed chili flakes; saute for about 6-7 minutes or until tender, adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes.
- Add in all ingredients up to the tortillas; mix well to combine and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Layer 1/3 of the broken tortillas in the bottom of the dish, top with 1/3 of the chicken mixture, then 1 cup grated cheese (or to taste).
- Repeat the layers twice making certain to end up with the cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
- If desired you can omit the cheese on top, bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven sprinkle with cheese and return to oven for about 7-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted, this will avoid the cheese from becoming hard.
This was super good, but then I expected nothing less from a Kittencal recipe. Thanks Kit for another great recipe.