Recipe by Annie W.
My adaptation of a popular California-Mexican Soup. Great fun for guests and kids love it too. Pass some favorite Salsa for those who like their food HOT.
Top Review by nametaglady
We loved this soup! I couldn't find adobo seasoning, so I just added some of each of the listed seasonings, until it tasted good and it turned out perfectly. The rice really gives it some substance as well--other recipes I have tried have turned out too liquidy. This was great--thank you Annie White.
- 10 cups strong flavored chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning (traditional Mexican spice blend of garlic, onion, pepper, oregano, cumin and cayenne available from)
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies (, I use Rotel brand)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 avocados, peeled and sliced at the last minute
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix broth, garlic, onion, chili powder, adobo seasoning and can of diced tomatoes and chiles in large soup pot.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Add carrots, celery, chicken and rice and cook 30 minutes more, or until rice is tender.
- In individual heat-proof bowls, place two tortillas cut into strips.
- Ladle soup over the tortillas and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place under broiler until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven, top with 1/2 sliced avocado and serve immediately.