Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great Mexican Soup Recipe!
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes, peeled,seeded and diced
- 6 tablespoons cilantro
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring 3.
- 5 quarts of the broth to a boil.
- Reduce the heat so the stock boils gently and boil until reduced by half to about 7 cups (about 30 minutes).
- In a separate saucepan, combine the chicken breasts with the remaining 2 cups of broth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook gently until the chicken is opaque thruout when cut into with a knife, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board, and, when cool enough to handle, cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- Discard the stock.
- In another skillet, warm the olive oil.
- Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeno chile and cook for 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Add to the reduced broth, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the cooked chicken, the tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper and simmer until the chicken is heated thru, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- While the soup is cooking, pour vegetable oil into a deep frying pan to a depth of 2 inches.
- Working in batches, drop in tortilla strips and fry until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried tortilla strips to paper towels to drain.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls.
- Sprinkle lime pieces and tortilla evenly over the tops.
- Serve immediately.
- Also good with sliced avocado.