Recipe by twissis
From the *Best Ever Chicken* cookbook edited by Linda Fraser & the intro says "This low-fat version of the Italian dish *Vitello Tonnato* is garnished w/fine strips of red pepper instead of the traditional anchovy fillets." The pic of the finished product was stunning & IMO this recipe works equally well as a luncheon entree for 4, starter course for 8 or dinner main-course if served w/bread &/or a veggie side dish of choice. (Time does not include cooling or chilling time). *Enjoy* !
Top Review by Alskann
This was good. Directions were well written and easy to follow. I followed the recipe exactly. I think the red pepper and capers really add flavor to this dish. It would make a nice luncheon dish.
- 16 ounces chicken breasts (4 oz each, skinned & boneless)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna (packed in brine, drained well)
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 red bell pepper (cut in thin Julienne strips)
- 48 small capers (well-drained)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken breasts in a lrg saucepan in a single layer. Add onion, bay leaf, stock & peppercorns. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 12 min, or till tender.
- Turn off heat, allow chicken to cool in the stock & then remove w/a slotted spoon. Slice ea chicken breast in medallions, but keep ea intact to be plated individually when served. Set aside.
- Boil stock till reduced to approx 5 tablespoons Strain thru a fine sieve & allow to cool.
- Put tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice + 3 tbsp of the reduced stock into a blender or food proc & puree till smooth. (I will use my immersion blender for this step).
- Stir in enough of the remaining stock to reduce the sauce to the thickness of double cream & spoon equally over ea chicken breast.
- Arrange strips of red bell pepper in a lattice pattern over ea breast. Put a caper in the center of ea square. Chill in fridge for at least 1 hr & serve cold w/a mixed green salad that includes cherry tomatoes for color.