Cook1 hr 30 mins
Another delicious tagine recipe that I just had to post. Serve with Authentic Moroccan Bread Note: I changed the amount of honey after reading the reviews.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix (Ras El Hanout - Moroccan Spice Mix)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (use a good quality brand)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 -3 lbs skinless chicken pieces, breasts & leg quarters
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons fragrant honey
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon blanched almond, to garnish
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame seeds, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil over medium low heat in a large tagine. Heat the onion & garlic for several minutes then add the spices & cook until fragrant.
- Next stir in the tomatoes & lemon juice. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt & pepper then place in the sauce. Cover the tagine & cook on low heat for 1 hour.
- Uncover the tagine & carefully stir in the honey & 1/2 cup of water. Recover & continue to cook for additional 30-45 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle the almonds & sesame seeds on top of the chicken & serve hot with Moroccan bread.