Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can most certainly use skin on chicken pieces for this recipe, but adjust baking time. This is easy and delicious! If you prefer a spicy sauce, then add in some crushed red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce, also if you want more sauce, then add about another 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 eggs, beaten
- seasoning salt
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- oil (for frying)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce (can use more sauce)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Grease a shallow baking dish.
- Place the sliced onions in bottom of the dish; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl or dish, combine the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, seasoning salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (if using) and garlic powder.
- Coat the chicken is eggs, then in bread crumb mixture.
- Brown the chicken in hot oil in a frypan until browned, and place on top of the onions in the baking dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and then Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, uncover, and bake for another 30 minutes.
Very good! I added crushed red pepper to the sauce as you recommended. Since only 1/2 of the breadcrumb mixture stuck to the chicken, I also sprinkled on more garlic powder and Italian seasoning on the sauce to make sure there was enough flavor. Very easy and delicious. Thanks for sharing!
I kept meaning to make this recipe, but for one reason or another, would change my mind. I finally made it and it was really good. I only used 3 chicken breasts, and scaled down the rest of the ingredients accordingly. I probably used more cheese than what it called for. I also used a sweet onion. I served it with noodles. I will definately be making this again. Thanks Kittencal