I created this one afternoon when I wanted to make something hearty and flavorful for my Marine husband who had spent the week in the field. The flavor base comes from a sauce in Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the chicken
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups water
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the stew base
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
For the stew
- 1Place chicken in large dutch oven or stock pot.
- 2Pour water into pot and add whole garlic cloves and quartered onion.
- 3Bring to a boil and cook chicken, covered, turning periodically,for about 15 minutes or until the meat is firm but juicy and has no pink in the middle.
- 4While the chicken is cooking combine all ingredients for stew base and whisk together until entirely incorporated. Set aside.
- 5While chicken is cooking par cook the pasta (about 7 minutes) and set aside.
- 6When the chicken is done turn off the heat and allow to cool, uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- 7Place a large bowl in the sink with a clean strainer over it. Pour the contents of the pot into the strainer. If you like, transfer the broth into a clean bowl and set aside. Allow the chicken to continue cooling until you can comfortably handle the pieces and then hand pull the breast and thighs.Set the meat aside.
- 8Place the dutch oven or stockpot on medium heat and add the reserved stew base, chickpeas and diced tomatoes. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a bit and the tomatoes have lost their raw taste.
- 9Add the par cooked pasta to this mixture and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 10. Add the reserved chicken and cook for another 2 minutes.
- 11Add the spinach leaves, cover and cook until just wilted. About 2 minutes.
- 12Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Serve as is in deep bowls with shaved Parmesan or Asiago and a crisp salad.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Tomato and Spinach Stew With Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (1002 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 755.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 215.5 mg
- Sodium 1341.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 73.1 g