1/2 Photos of Chicken Tomatillo Chili
1 hr 15 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
I really love this recipe. I make it all year round, Even the kids like it! Inspired by Country Living Magazine, January 2001. Pork tenderloin can be used as well. Be sure to top with chopped cilantro. It is great without BUT so much better with it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 -8 large fresh tomatillos, husked remove, cored & quartered or 1 lb fresh tomatillo
- 1 large jalapeno, I use serano chili
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can northern white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded for topping (optional)
- 1Add oil to pot. Over medium heat, sauté chicken, season with salt, cook until no longer pink. About 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pot, set aside.
- 2In the mean time, in a food processor, make a flavor paste. Combine tomatillos, green chilies and jalapeño and blend until thick & smooth. May need to make 2 batches.
- 3Add more oil if desired, add onions and garlic, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Careful not to burn the garlic. Add chicken back to pot. Add cumin and coriander. Stir.
- 4Add the flavor paste, green chilies, chicken broth and beans to the cooked chicken pieces.
- 5Simmer for at least 45 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved. I prefer to simmer longer, for up to 2 hours.
- 6Top with cilantro at serving.
- 7Serve with warm torn flour tortillas or crispy tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tomatillo Chili
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 188.8 mg
- Sodium 1443.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 57.6 g