Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I really love this recipe. I make it all year round, Even the kids like it! Inspired by Country Living Magazine, January 2001. Pork tenderloin can be used as well. Be sure to top with chopped cilantro. It is great without BUT so much better with it!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 -8 large fresh tomatillos, husked remove, cored & quartered or 1 lb fresh tomatillo
- 1 large jalapeno, I use serano chili
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) cannorthern white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded for topping (optional)
- Add oil to pot. Over medium heat, sauté chicken, season with salt, cook until no longer pink. About 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pot, set aside.
- In the mean time, in a food processor, make a flavor paste. Combine tomatillos, green chilies and jalapeño and blend until thick & smooth. May need to make 2 batches.
- Add more oil if desired, add onions and garlic, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Careful not to burn the garlic. Add chicken back to pot. Add cumin and coriander. Stir.
- Add the flavor paste, green chilies, chicken broth and beans to the cooked chicken pieces.
- Simmer for at least 45 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved. I prefer to simmer longer, for up to 2 hours.
- Top with cilantro at serving.
- Serve with warm torn flour tortillas or crispy tortilla chips.