Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 59.14 ml shallot, chopped
- 4.92 ml fresh thyme
- 473.18 ml tomatillos
- 118.29 ml stock (whatever you have around)
- 946.36 ml cooked cannellini or 946.36 ml lima beans
- 473.18 ml shredded cooked chicken
- 354.88 ml monterey jack cheese or 354.88 ml Cotija cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a square glass baking dish.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot add the shallot and onion, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for another minute. Add tomatillos and stock to the skillet, cooking while stirring occasionally until tomatillos break up and become saucy, about 10 minutes.
- Put half the beans in the bottom of the greased dish, sprinkling with salt and pepper. Follow with a layer of the tomatillo mixture, then a layer of the shredded chicken, finally a layer of cheese. Repeat with the other half of the ingredients to make a second layer to the dish. Bake until the casserole is hot and the cheese is bubbly, 20 to 30 minutes.