Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty mix of tofu, chicken and vegetables in a light sauce. Healthy - low on fat and sodium but NOT on flavor!
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half, cubed
- 14 ounces firm tofu
- 8 medium cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion
- 3⁄4 inch fresh gingerroot, v coarsely grated
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup sugar snap pea
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash hot chili pepper, to taste
- 1 cup rice
- Start the rice first in a medium non-stick pot, and get it going while you are chopping ingredients. It will take about 20-25 minutes to cook the rice. Alternatively, you can just use a rice cooker.
- Additionally, you will need 2 other sauce pans, one shallow one to cook tofu, and another deep one to cook the main ingredients.
- Heat medium sauce pan on medium heat, and add soy sauce when the pan is hot. Add tofu, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Stir tofu and cook (covered) for another 5-7 minutes.
- A few minutes after starting the tofu cooking, heat another deep sauce pan. It is important that the tofu and main ingredients finish around the same time so that the tofu does not dry out. If the tofu does finish early, just turn off the heat and let it sit until you are ready to add it to the main ingredients in the second sauce pan.
- Bring the second pan to med-high heat, add the olive oil, and then add the garlic, ginger, and onion. Stir fry for a 4-5 minutes or until the onion becomes a little soft (according to your tastes). Add the mushrooms, sugar snap peas, and carrots. Add the fish sauce and water. Stir fry for another 3-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to a medium setting, and add the chicken.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken cubes, You want to make sure the chicken is cooked through, but not too dry. Add the tofu from the first pan and stir fry for one additional minute.
- Serve the rice and the chicken tofu dish together. I usually put the rice in first, add some chicken-tofu, and then a few sprigs of cilantro, and mix it up. That's it.