Tikka is the Indian version of shish kebabs. If you want to replicate the look of traditional Indian barbecue, add a few drops of red food coloring to the chicken marinade. Chicken marinates for 3-4 hours. This recipe was created by Steven Raichlen the BBQ King and author.
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled, halved, seeded and chopped)
- 1 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, lightly toasted and chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon Chinese mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for the grill
- lemon wedge, for serving
- thinly sliced red onion, for serving
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- Soak six 12-inch bamboo skewers in warm water for 30 minutes. Thread the chicken onto the skewers and set in a shallow glass baking dish.
- On a cutting board, use the side of a large knife to mash the garlic, ginger and salt to a paste. In a bowl, whisk the paste with the yogurt, mustard oil, lemon juice, cumin, mace, nutmeg, cardamom, turmeric, cayenne and black pepper. Pour the marinade over the chicken; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Raita: On a cutting board, use the side of a large knife to mash the garlic with a large pinch of salt to a paste. In a medium bowl, mix the garlic paste with the yogurt, sour cream, cucumber, tomato, mint and toasted cumin. Season with salt and pepper and put in refrigerator.
- Light a grill. Lightly oil the grate. Grill the chicken over a medium-hot fire for about 4 minutes per side, or until it is cooked through and golden. Serve with the lemon wedges, red onion, cilantro and Cucumber Raita.
Only made the raita so far, but it's my new favorite. Nice flavor and look. Thanks!
Beautiful recipe! I only made the chicken part of it and served with 166779 Cilantro Cream Sauce and they went wonderfully together. I marinaded the chicken overnight and left out the mace as I didn't have any on hand. Not spicy at all but with beautiful delicate flavours - oh, and I used hot English mustard for the Chinese variety. Thanks for posting your lovely recipe!
This was fantastic, and much easier than the amount of ingredients would make it seem at first glance. We thought the kick was perfect, although I had to make something different for my six year old LOL!! Delicious!!