Recipe by veganhogg
My all time favorite Indian dish - Chicken Tikka Masala. Since my vegan conversion, this is one meal I surely thought, I'd never have again. Thanks to the folks at Gardein, their 'chicken scallopini' makes this carnivorous dish, 100% vegan friendly!
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
This was really tasty. I used the grilled faux chicken from the brand "Beyond Meat" as I like it better than Gardein. We did not use the skewers. The sauce was really flavorful. DH, who eats meat, does not like the texture of the faux meat (I like it just fine) and therefore would prefer to try the dish again with mushrooms or tofu. I'm not vegan, so I used Greek yogurt. I decreased the amount of cinnamon per personal preference. Thanks for a nice dinner!
- 4 vegan chicken, scallopini breasts by Gardein (available at most Whole Foods stores)
- 236.59 ml soy yogurt
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground red pepper
- 9.85 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml minced fresh ginger
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 14.79 ml Earth Balance margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 2.46 ml salt
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 236.59 ml coconut milk (can substitute lite)
- 59.14 ml frozen peas
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop 'chicken' into 1" cubes. Mix all marinade ingredients together and add the cubed Gardein chicken. Marinate for about 1 hour.
- Soak bamboo skewers in warm water while preparing sauce.
- For sauce, melt 'butter' on medium heat until melted.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala and salt.
- Stir in tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peas and stir in coconut milk. Simmer on low heat (stirring often) while preparing the Gardein chicken.
- Thread Gardein chicken onto skewers and discard marinade.
- Broil Gardein chicken, turning occasionally, to cook through for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove Gardein chicken from skewers and add to sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with Basmati or Jasmine rice.