Recipe by Alan Leonetti
Do not confuse Masala with Marsala Wine. This is an East Indian dish that is GREAT! NOTE: The Prep Time and Cooking Time does NOT reflect the 4 hours of refrigerated marinating time.
Top Review by Mary E #2
I'm not sure why I decided to try this Masal recipe over the others but glad I did. After reading the other review of being bland, I made some revisions and this dish is soooo good! I marinated the chicken overnight, used extra fresh garlic and ginger. Omitted all water and subsituted the water that's added to tomatoes(plus I used canned) with chicken broth, added cayenne pepper and alot more garam masala. Also, simmered the garlic and ginger with the tomatoes right at the beginnning. Wonderful recipe.
FOR THE CHICKEN RECIPE
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 inches fresh ginger (peeled)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- salt & pepper
FOR THE MASALA SAUCE RECIPE
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded and chopped)
- 1⁄2 inch ginger (peeled)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala, spice mixture (available in Indian or Specialty Markets)
Directions See How It's Made
- CHICKEN RECIPE: In a large bowl, combine yogurt, vegetable oil, lemon juice, 4 teaspoons of the ginger/garlic paste that you made in the blender, cumin, mace, nutmeg, cardamom, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Rub the chicken breasts thoroughly with this mixture and place in a glass baking dish, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove chicken breasts from marinade and discard remaining marinade.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish.
- Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, basting with vegetable oil and pan drippings at least twice.
- When the chicken is tender and cooked through and its juices run clear, remove from the oven and keep warm.
- Just before serving, slice the cooked chicken and place it in the simmering masala sauce for a few minutes, until heated through.
- Serve hot.
- MASALA SAUCE RECIPE: About half an hour before you finish marinating the chicken, start the masala sauce.
- Place tomatoes and green bell peppers in a saucepot.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- While the tomatoes and peppers are cooking, cut the half inch piece of ginger into several smaller pieces and place in blender.
- Add garlic cloves and water and puree.
- When tomatoes and peppers are nearly done, reduce heat to medium, add 2 teaspoons of the ginger/garlic paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in the garam masala and salt and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid is the consistency of a thick puree.
- Remove pan from heat, strain and return sauce to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in butter, cream and honey and simmer gently until ready to add the chicken and serve.