Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The English have an obsession with curries. This recipe is one of Britain's favorites. Quick and easy, adjust the chili powder to suit your own heat level! From about.com A very creamy dish. For Zaar World Tour 8
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- salt and pepper
- 78.07 ml fresh coriander, chopped finely
- juice and zest 1 lime
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 4.92 ml ground turmeric
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 283.49 g light cream or 283.49 g plain yogurt
- 14.79 ml tomato puree
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In a large stainless steel bowl place the chicken with ginger, garlic, salt, pepperchopped coriander, lime juice and zest with 1 tbsp of the oil. Stir then cover with a clean cloth, leave to one side for 30 minutes.
- After 30 mins, heat one tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan or wok add the chicken and cook for 8 -10 minutes until browned all over.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and put to one side. In the same pan heat the remaining oil and gently cook the onion and chili powder for 5 minutes. Add the turmeric and ground cumin, stir and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the cream and gently simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree, stir then add the lemon juice. Cook for one minute more then serve garnished with fresh coriander. Boiled rice, warm naan bread or chapatis are delicious served alongside.
Wonderful chicken tikka!! I followed the recipe to the letter except for the fresh cilantro - it was dried, no fresh available - and the lime zest. Had to use lemon zest instead, but don't think it was a big change. This is utterly yummy and so easy to make! Thanks for sharing this great new keeper :)
Made for Make My Recipe Reunion Game / AUS / NZ Forum
This was soooo good and simple to make. I've made several Tikka Masala recipes here and this has to be one of the best - wonderful blend of flavors without being to hot. I followed the directions exactly and the spices were perfect for us. Can't wait to try the left overs for lunch today. Served with recipes#488674 and home made Naan bread. Made for a very pleasant dinner. Made for The Newest Tag Game 2012
Yummy! I cut the recipe in half cuz there's just the two of us...I made as posted...and since we're trying to cut out extra carbs...I served it as is...we loved the spiciness of this dish..I was a bit concerned when I saw how the pan was full of brown cooked on goodness...but I was very happy when I added the cream and all that cooked on stuff scraped up and blended in with the sauce...it's a keeper...made for pammyowl's cook-a-thon...rest in peace sweetie...big hugs for you up in heaven...=)