Recipe by daedalHof
A simpler, yet oh so delicious version of tikka masala. This recipe does not require marinating the chicken, which make it quicker to prepare. It also uses all dry, ground ingredients so that no blooming or grinding is needed beforehand.
Top Review by ABCgirl
This was delicious. I actually tried this recipe to avoid the extra steps required in other recipes to marinade the chicken first. I am not sure what I did wrong but it was so hot, that until I tripled the tomato sauce and the cream, I couldn't eat it. And I love hot food. But after I made those changes, I would say it was a five star recipe. After I made it, I realized that maybe 1 tsp of cayenne and 2 TBSP of red curry powder may have been too much for the 2 cups of liquid (half and half cream and tomato sauce). Maybe I should have used the yellow curry powder. But, I would definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing
- 3 chicken breasts
- 14.79 ml ghee or 14.79 ml clarified butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 7.39 ml ginger, fresh or 7.39 ml ground ginger
- 226.79 g tomato sauce
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 29.58 ml curry powder (red or yellow)
- 7.39 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml cayenne
- 4.92 ml coriander
- 4.92 ml cardamom
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- First prepare all chicken and vegetables.
- Chicken can be cut into 1" cubes.
- Pre-cook chicken in a pan. Saute on a low to medium heat, trying not to brown chicken. Poaching chicken also works well and can give the chicken a softer and more moist texture.
- Sweat onions in clarified butter over medium heat. When nearing translucency, add garlic and ginger. Sweat until soft, try not to brown.
- Slowly pour in tomato sauce. Begin adding spices (cumin through cinnamon).
- Blend spices into tomato sauce completely, slowing stirring.
- Add half and half, bringing the sauce to a light simmer. Combine well.
- I suggest tasting the sauce and adding salt to taste if necessary.
- Add chicken to sauce and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- You can also add par-cooked potatoes, carrots, cauliflower or chickpeas to dish if desired.
- Serve over warm rice.