1/2 Photos of Chicken Tikka Masala
Spicy tomato-based-sauce Indian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cinnamon stick (approx. 2.5 inches)
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 2 -3 tablespoons ghee or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions (chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground ginger (use a micro-plane or ginger grinder, don't use powdered ginger)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I've used hot paprika, but you could try sweet)
- 3 teaspoons garam masala (pre-ground traditional combo of spices, easily found in the grocery store)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 ounces water
- salt (to taste)
- 2 -4 ounces Greek yogurt (or, use regular yogurt, but place it in cheese cloth over a strainer set above a bowl. Let it sit fo)
- 2 lbs chicken, cubed
- 1Mix: onions, ginger, garlic, cumin, corriander, tumeric, cayenne, paprika, and garam masala in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 2Put a heavy bottomed pan over medium/high heat. Once hot, add ghee/oil. Let ghee/oil heat for a few seconds.
- 3Add cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Shake pan to keep spices moving. Saute for 15 to 30 seconds to let the flavors infuse into the ghee/oil. Do NOT let the spices burn.
- 4Add the masala paste (the spices, onion, garlic, and ginger mixture you set aside earlier).
- 5Lower heat to low/medium. Stir while onions sweat. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are soft but not brown.
- 6Add canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir.
- 7Add water. Stir.
- 8Let mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes. While mixture simmers, season cubed chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 9Add seasoned, raw chicken.
- 10Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
- 11Check for doneness. If not done, continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- 12Turn heat off. Stir in yogurt.
- 13Turn heat onto low/med. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- 14You're done! Serve with rice or naan.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tikka Masala
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.9
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 119.8 mg
- Sodium 320.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods