Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spicy tomato-based-sauce Indian dish.
Make and share this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cinnamon stick (approx. 2.5 inches)
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 2 -3 tablespoons ghee or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions (chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground ginger (use a micro-plane or ginger grinder, don't use powdered ginger)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I've used hot paprika, but you could try sweet)
- 3 teaspoons garam masala (pre-ground traditional combo of spices, easily found in the grocery store)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 ounces water
- salt (to taste)
- 2 -4 ounces Greek yogurt (or, use regular yogurt, but place it in cheese cloth over a strainer set above a bowl. Let it sit fo)
- 2 lbs chicken, cubed
- Mix: onions, ginger, garlic, cumin, corriander, tumeric, cayenne, paprika, and garam masala in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put a heavy bottomed pan over medium/high heat. Once hot, add ghee/oil. Let ghee/oil heat for a few seconds.
- Add cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Shake pan to keep spices moving. Saute for 15 to 30 seconds to let the flavors infuse into the ghee/oil. Do NOT let the spices burn.
- Add the masala paste (the spices, onion, garlic, and ginger mixture you set aside earlier).
- Lower heat to low/medium. Stir while onions sweat. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are soft but not brown.
- Add canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir.
- Add water. Stir.
- Let mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes. While mixture simmers, season cubed chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add seasoned, raw chicken.
- Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
- Check for doneness. If not done, continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Turn heat off. Stir in yogurt.
- Turn heat onto low/med. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- You're done! Serve with rice or naan.
Fabulous flavor! We used coconut milk instead of yogurt since my husband is allergic to milk. Very easy to make yet impressively tasty. We'd make this again for sure!
This was a really flavorful dish. The perfect amount of heat taste. I used the hot paprika for extra heat. Prep time wasn't too bad, a bit more than 15 minutes though. I really like dishes that have enough sauce too and this was one of them. I would definitely be making this one again. I had extra so I had froze 2 single containers for later. Made for the Indian tag March 09. Thanks for sharing your recipe LMCski