Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Absolutely gorgeous chicken curry.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 can chopped tomato
- 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons masala curry paste
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 fluid ounces water
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic and ginger.
- Put the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and yoghurt into a blender or food processor and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan, add the onion and fry over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the masala curry paste and fry for a further minute of a medium heat, stirring once or twice.
- Add the tomato mixture and chicken to the pan and mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the flour and water together and stir into the pan off the heat.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook over a gentle heat for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Sprinkle in the chopped coriander and serve immediately with rice.
Thank U for a fabulous chicken recipe! I made this for lunch today. I doubled the recipe, used 1 kg 300gm chicken(cut into pieces). Instead of a can of chopped tomatoes, I used 4 tomatoes(chopped). I used 5 tbsps. oil, 5 cloves of garlic, 2 inch fresh ginger, 3 onions, 9 tbsp. low-fat yogurt, 4 tbsp. curry paste, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 3 cups water. Additionally, I used 1 tsp. red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp. red food colouring. I used 3 cups water to cook the chicken. I did not use plain flour. I made a puree of the tomato, garlic, ginger, yogurt and onions and cooked the chicken in it alongwith the 3 cups of water for 50 minutes om medium-high flame. It was AMAZING! The colour, the taste, it was perfect! I served it with chicken pulao, it was gone in minutes and my brother is SO HAPPY today with the food, he extends a special THANK U to U. Thank U for this recipe from the core of my heart!
Very good, my husband made it and used some variations from our Indian cookbook(sorry,don't know what), but he still lfelt the recipe had good bones.
I followed the directions exactly and it turned out perfect, nice and spicy. The sauce is great on rice. Thanks for the recipe!